Saturday, 7 September 2013

Two sides of a coin

Six months have passed since I started working. A common question that people tend to ask is whether I like my job or not. Instead of saying yes or no, I shall list down the push and pull factors of my job and  the working environment.

Factors/people that made me love my job:
Respect. The best part of a job is the moment where you gain the respect of your client. I always feel motivated and satisfied whenever my client contacted me to discuss on certain matters. It makes me feel that I'm actually adding value to my client, which is what an auditor supposed to do.

Travel opportunity. Since I seldom travel around, the opportunity to travel makes me love my job as well. I am lucky enough to go for a stock count in Sandakan Bay by boat. It was a nice experience and I felt like I was having a holiday trip rather than working. 

Money illusion. I will feel happy and glad to work nearing month end. Yes! It's purely due to the paycheck that I'll be receiving. As an auditor, we'll usually receive "more" money than our predetermined salary due to inclusion of mileage claims.Although the claims are actually reimbursement of what we paid for in advanced, the money illusion will still give me a short term happiness. :)

Generous bosses. In rare circumstances, you'll be lucky enough to get a generous boss. I feel happy to work with such bosses. He/she is willing to treat the whole team a nice meal after work. Be it a box of chocolate or Chinese-style seafood dinner, he/she will gain my loyalty for the job. Haha...

The joker. Most of the job will have a cheerful person that will brighten up your day. No matter how stressful the working environment appears to be, such person will keep you happy by making some jokes or talking some nonsense which makes you smile. I hope there will be more people with such trait in my future jobs.

Factors/people that made me hate my job:
Working hours. I think there are many complaints about auditor's working hours and suicide cases to support this. No further elaboration needed.

Subjective appraisal. There is an appraisal after every single job. It's fine to have frequent appraisal. However, it is purely subjective and dependent on your direct senior or manager's discretion. If they like you, you are safe. If they are biased, it's the end.

Poor planning. The job schedule is always subject to change. Managers can book you for a job and subsequently release you when they don't need you anymore. I hate this kind of arrangement. It made me feel like a trash that is being dumped around. Worst still, you might be booked for a job but there's nothing for you to do. Sometimes, I feel like a beggar begging around for work to do when I'm free. It sucks.

Punctuality. I simply don't understand why most of the auditors cannot be punctual. It seems to be a trend to come to work late and leave the workplace late. Ironically, managers prefer those people who came in late and stay late for work. What's the difference if I work from 7.30 am to 7-8pm compared to those who came in around 9-10am and leave at 9-10pm? Obviously, most of the auditors failed their maths. Oh wait, how do they audit the accounts then?

Two-faced people/Backstabber. Well, it's difficult for me to choose which face to slap or what knife should I use to stab them in the front.

No brainer. This kind of people hate me when I leave my workplace earlier than them. Yet, when I approach them for work they have nothing for me to do. Typical brain donors.

The clown. Have you ever met someone who likes to show off their limited talent or knowledge? These are people who usually a little bit senior than me. I told them I understood and knew what to do but they will doubt your ability and continue saying things that you already know, over and over again. I believe that some trust and respect will create a better working environment.

The pretender. Worst kind of people in workplace. They are reluctant to leave work early when they have nothing to do. What's the point of staying late at workplace when you have nothing to do? Sucking up bosses' ass? Puik! Get a life for god sake!

That's the main push and pull factors that I can think of right now. I hope the points above will provide a better picture of my feelings towards my current job. Deducting the human factors, it's still a decent job with slow learning curve as at to date. Hopefully I'll gain more exposure and meet more awesome people. :)

1 comment:

Lady Blue Le Marq said...

John, I am very glad to hear that you are enjoying your new job. Very few people can easily say they like a lot aspect of their job as you described yours. Hope things continue to go well for you! :)