Saturday, 2 April 2011

My speech

Below is the speech that I might present it in my high school as part of the Sunway promotion:

Good morning I bid to the principal of HSM Puan….. GPK, guest of honor Mr Teo Ee Sing, Executive Director of Sunway TES, Ms Ong, Business Development Manager of Sunway TES, teachers and fellow students. I would like to express my gratitude to HSM for giving me the opportunity to share a few words with everyone this morning.

Before I get started, allow me to introduce myself first. I am Ong Wei Zun and I graduated from HSM on 2008. Currently, I am pursuing ACCA at Sunway University. I remembered vividly the day which I received my SPM results and how happy I was for getting straight A1 for my SPM. I eagerly applied as many scholarships as possible hoping that I can could be lucky enough to get one. However, at that point of time, I didn’t really know what I want and I randomly chose a different course for every single application that I came across. To my dismay, my applications were rejected and I was forced to enter matriculation in Penang. I been through hell for almost 3 weeks’ time in matriculation before I finally convinced my parents and settled down in Sunway University.

My fellow juniors,

The point of sharing my past experience with you is to encourage you guys to set an ambition before you complete your studies in high school. Please don’t repeat the silly mistake that some my friends and I had made. Having good results in your PMR, SPM or STPM is merely a pass into the tertiary education. It doesn’t mean that you will excel in any field provided that you have the interest and passion to learn. There is no such thing as private tuition classes at university level, thus self-motivation and self-discipline play a very important role. If you don’t have interest in the subject you are studying, no one is there to force you, especially where you are staying in hostel.

Therefore, take your time to meditate and think what you really like to pursue in your tertiary education. Different professions have different route and you have to find out on your own. For example, if you wish to study ACCA, the fastest route would be taking CAT/FIA after SPM. But if you wish to pursue engineering, it will be faster to undertake their respective foundations immediately after SPM. Of course, if you haven’t decided what to do or you are immature enough, you can choose to stay in high school for another 2 years by taking STPM. Once you have decided, please hold on to it and don’t be easily influenced by your friends or relatives. It’s your future, not theirs.

Anyway, just try to enjoy your high school life to the fullest. Play any computer games you like to play such as DOTA or CS, watch any drama series you love to watch such as Glee, Gossip Girls, Vampire Diaries and Supernatural etc. But stop doing so when you enter university as you don’t have the time and pleasure to do such thing anymore. Believe me.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank all the teachers of HSM who had taught me well and had built a strong foundation for me. I would not be able to stand here today if I was not taught the essential values in life that changed me to a better person. Today, I would like to dedicate the CAT World Top Scorer and World Prize Winner award to you all.

For those students who are sitting for PMR and SPM soon, all the best in your exams. Believe in yourself and eventually, you will succeed. Prove to others, especially the KL students that Muarians are capable to compete with them. Thank you~

2 comments:

Wei Jiet said...

Awww....hope I can give a speech like that too someday. When are you gonna do it?

Actually, no, I still think students have time to play DoTA, CS and facebook d whole day in university. It just depends on what course you are taking, time management and the level of kiasu-ness within ourselves. Don't scare the hell out of them.

--c3rO-- said...

Wei Jiet!! Long time didn't see you already, miss u~
The Sunway staffs are arranging, should be 25 april if not mistaken. I wish I could be replaced by you, hate to do such thing.@.@
Yup, it depends on what course we are taking, my roommate also playing DOTA whole day but I hardly have time for entertainment.=(